History of department
For the first time, medical immunology, mycology, parasitology and entomology sections were established in the heart of the oldest and largest departments in the medical school entitled as health department, in 1954. The department, then, renamed and after separation from health department, continued existence as pathobiology department until 1999, when the immunology and parasitology department established independently and consisted of immunology and parasitology sections .From august 2008, two independent departments of immunology and parasitology were separated.
Academic members of the department are responsible for teaching courses in Medical parasitology, Mycology and entomology for medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, laboratory sciences, nursing, health and nutrition and other allied health disciplines’ students in various levels, that’s, general medicine, assistants, Bsc, Msc and technicians.
Moreover, the department is actively contributing in training post-graduate students (Msc parasitology) from 2001, and in addition to presenting related courses; it was also responsible for directing Msc theses and other disciplines.
In addition, the department academic members are currently engaged in various fields of research and have contributions in the fields of scientific and research with international scientific institutions including WHO, London school of Hygiene Tropical medicine, and united Nations Development program.
Training skilled specialists and professionals to serve educational and research fields as well as activities in diagnosing parasitic infections in public and private laboratories in order to management of parasitic diseases.
-Training specialist and competent persons in Parasitology in order to meet the manpower requirements of training and research centers as well as clinical laboratories.
- Enhancing the quality of education and research in postgraduate Parasitology course.
- Creating a PhD course in parasitology.
- Upgrading educational and research skills of the department members.
- Encouraging the department members in interactions with scientific societies in absorbing further financial resources from international research centers.
- Admission of foreign students in postgraduate education.
In line with its commitment to the scientific ideas, Parasitology department by using the academic members and experts, and appropriate use of resources, structures and facilities, will concentrate its efforts in the following strategies.
- Training specialist, skilled and undertaking individual that can serve as a teachers and researchers, or as experts who are responsible for and have a positive role in the diagnosis and treatment of infectious and non-infectious diseases.
- Performing fundamental and applied research activities in order to respond to a variety of clinical problems.
- Supervising and contributing in educational and research affairs and providing desirable services in this regard.
- Trying to maintain and develop relationships with other departments, colleges, and universities nationally and internationally.
- Quantitative and qualitative development of postgraduate courses.
- Quantitative and qualitative development of researches.
- Promotion of scientific and practical skills of the academic members in related professional fields by encouraging them to use abroad study opportunities as well as participating in short- term training courses.
- Qualitative and quantitative enhancement of the academic members.
- In the case of achieving the enhanced quality and quantity of the academic, admission of postgraduate students in Medical Mycology and Entomology fields.
- In the case of achieving the enhanced quality and quantity of the academic, admission of foreign students in postgraduate courses in order to the department of international and institutional relations.
- In the case of achieving the enhanced quality and quantity of the academic, admission of PhD students in related fields according to the expertise of scientific board.
- Trying to publish articles in prestigious, internal and foreign journals.
- Participation in national and international congresses.